Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Days of Technology

So we were driving in the car yesterday listening to music and out of the blue Cayden asks me if I will get him an IPod. I started laughing so hard, I don't have one and neither does Chuck, so I have no idea how he even knows what an IPod is. If anyone would want an IPod I would think it would be Emma, who loves to sit on Auntie Rachael's lap and listen to Hannah Montana on her IPod with her. Maybe Ben showed his to Cayden and told him what it was. Anyway, It got me thinking. We are so blessed to have the technology that we do in this day and age. I didn't get a cell, or even want one until I was 17. Yet my 9 year old little brother is already asking for one. Rachael got one when she was 13. I recognize how blessed we are to have these advances. But it means that we as mothers have to work extra hard to help our kids not get so caught up in these things. There is so much "stuff" out there. I really want to try and teach my kids about what is really important, and not let them get so caught up in the materialism of this world. It is so easy to loose yourself in it. I pray that I can be less caught up in the things of this world as well, and teach my kids by example. I hope that they will know that what really matters to me is the gospel, and our family. Not that I will never get them cell phones, or IPods. I just think we can all work on being a little less preoccupied with all the stuff we want.

8 comments:

Jess said...

That is so funny, kids do say the funniest things! I love Cayden!

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

oh man, I hear you! Hallie is always asking for things her friends have. I just have to keep reminding her that we all have different things and that we cant have it all! it is hard...Im really impressed with my parents. Taylor had his 17th bday today and he still doesnt have a cell phone. My parents thought it might be ok to get him one now...but there will definitely be RULES! (probably the same rules I had with mine!) I agree with it being a blessing, but also a challenge with us new parents! And our cute little ones with all these ideas...well they are just going to keep getting older and get more ideas!

Tukuafu's said...

Hi guys! Hope you don't mind me peeking on your blog. I love the pictures of you guys.. the kids are so big and that Cayden is a HAM! We miss you!

Heather O'Brien said...

I hear ya! It is crazy. I worked in a Kindergarten class the other day and I swear almost every kid in the class had an Ipod. I'm sorry to hear about Chuck's Grandpa. We are thinking of you guys. LYLAS!!

Jamie said...

he's a smart kiddo!

Kara said...

Amber I love your blog, it is so cute! If you get a chance you should check ours out fuhriman.family.blogspot.com

Jenny Lynn said...

Hey!! I hope you dont mind me stalking you on blogger, your kids are adorable! Kids say the funniest things! Way cute family!!

Clarissa B. said...

Amber- That is just too cute! Your family so precious!