Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sweet Monotony

Feeding
Feeding Burping
Feeding Burping Changing
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking
Feeding Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Cooing
Burping Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking Sleeping
Changing Cooing Fussing Rocking Sleeping Waking
Cooing Fussing Rocking Sleeping Waking
Fussing Rocking Sleeping Waking
Rocking Sleeping Waking
Sleeping Waking
Waking
Thought the order may change,
The motions are the same.
Regardless of time,
Regardless of day,
My life
And the life of my baby's
Is made up of the same movements
over and
over and
over again.
It is exhausting
For both of us.
I sometimes long for a change. . . does she?
But then I remember that
Music is made
Using the same seven notes in variation.
And only twenty-six letters combine
to create poems, and plays, and masterpieces.
I realize that monotony can create miracles.
So I will go through the motions with my baby
And we will dance
Through the pages
of our own story.

I found this in a book my mom gave me about motherhood, "Unlikely Truths of Motherhood." This describes so much how I am feeling right now. Sometimes it is so exhausting and monotonous. I told Chuck that between feeding the baby all day and running Cayden and Emma back and forth from school, soccer, and dance I feel like all I am is a milk cow and shofer. But as I bathed Gracie this morning at 6:00 am (cause she had thrown up all over herself) and she looked up at me and gave me a huge smile filled with trust and safety and love, I realized that I am creating a miracle. She is our miracle, and I have the honor of partnering with my Heavenly Father to help her create her story. And just as my Heavenly Father will always be there for me, I will always be there for her. Even when it is tiring and hard and emotional and monotonous. And I will find joy, because I am helping to create a miracle in the life of my sweet baby girl.

4 comments:

LauraBro said...

OH! isn't is a beautiful book?!!--she has such a way of finding joy in motherhood--I'm glad mom got you the book--I love how it says--the same notes make up beautiful music--that touches me--since I can change things up and make happy music with my kids everyday- doing the same things. I love you!!! I'm glad that even while being exhausted--you can find those moments that you have complete joy with Gracie and the kids! you're the best mom-I think of you all the time!

Amy said...

Awesome poem. I wish I would have appreciated the first year more. I am glad you can and that you are!!! Gooooooooo AMBER!!!

Susan Jo Ollerton Fuller said...

Sweet thoughts.

LauraBro said...

hey ambs--someone who has PCOS suggested this lady and her meals:
http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/thousandcaloriemenus.pdf

i only looked quickly--I worry about calories being that low and she says only to go that low AFTER not losing weight on 1200-1500---so i'm passing it on w/ideas--but should for sure consult a dr before doing any program (remember I GAINED weight while nursing when I let my calories get too low--so i dunno) http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/thousandcaloriemenus.pdf